Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Clan, Honor, and Empire by Tracy St. John

Clan, Honor, and Empire Clan, Honor, and Empire by Tracy St. John

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


St. John’s Clan Beginnings series just keeps getting better and better. I actually like the fact that the author is jumping around in the telling of the different clans’ beginnings and how they came to be before they met their Matara. In the case of Clan, Honor, and Empire, we find out how the first Kalquorian clan we ever met was formed. Yes, this is the story of Clan Rajhir – the men who became the first to take an Earther as their Matara after discovering that they were genetically compatible. Let me tell you folks, this was a treat to read for me.

Perhaps because this is the third book in the series, the author seems even more comfortable in crafting the tales of Clan Rajhir’s forming and by breaking it down into the two sections it actually felt like being treated to two full-length novels in one. In book one we find out how Dramok Rajhir finds his eventual Imdiko when his much aggrieved Dramok father forces him to take on the responsibility of his position sooner rather than later. I found Rajhir’s job interview quite humorous and rather telling of Rajhir’s shortcoming – often underestimating the situation and those around him. This is why his reaction to Flencik was so enjoyable for me because despite his best intentions to live up his youth, Rajhir soon found himself ready to start his clan years ahead of schedule. The man does know how to recognize a good thing when he sees it. The action and espionage that is infused within book one keeps the story moving and makes the rise in Rajhir’s protective nature for his Imdiko-to-be understandable.

I enjoyed the heck out of book one and watching that part of Clan Rajhir form, but book two was my favorite part of Clan, Honor, and Empire because seeing how Breft became the Nobek of Clan Rajhir was absolutely delightful. Honestly, the scene in which Breft is clanned had me snickering at Rajhir and his reaction. Even better was Flencik putting his foot down and reminding Rajhir that being an Imdiko did not mean Flencik was weak and the man would fight for what he wanted. While there was plenty of outside action and intrigue threatening the men, it was the watching the relationship between the three develop that I enjoyed the most as there was a lot of conflict between Rajhir and Breft that had to be worked through as well as Breft learning how to be the Nobek he was meant to be yet hadn’t quite become due to his youth. Both parts had plenty of man-on-man and man-on-man-on-man action to keep me well satisfied – oh the benefits of youth. I loved Clan, Honor, and Empire and am ecstatic that Clan and Crown has just been released – now I just have to find the time to read it.

I reviewed my personal copy of this book.
Reviewed by Angela at Crystal's Many Reviewers!

Check out the #WhipIt: Clan, Honor, and Empire blog post on Crystal's Many Reviewers.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment