Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Prince of Punk Rock by Jenna Galicki

The Prince of Punk Rock The Prince of Punk Rock by Jenna Galicki

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I want to start off by saying that, ultimately, I enjoyed the hell out of this book. That said, it wasn't until I was about a third of the way through the book before I really started to enjoy it. There was nothing wrong with the first part of the book or the author's writing. I just wasn't getting into it and it wasn't until I hit the 34% that I figured out why. The first part of the book moves fast and I felt like I was getting quick glimpses into the main characters' lives, the dynamics in Tommy & Jessi's relationship, the background behind Tommy joining the band, the lust that builds between Tommy and Angel. What was missing - for me - was an emotional connection to the characters; it felt more like I was fast-forwarding through parts of their lives and just peeking in on them for little bits of time without really getting to know them.

However, after the first ménage between Angel, Tommy & Jessi, that changed and I devoured the rest of the book. It wasn't the ménage that made the book click for me (though I did enjoy it and the later sex scenes), it was that after the encounter, the relationship between the three began to develop and as their emotions grew for one another, so did my investment in them as characters. I was happy for them as the band's success grew, angry when their success was threatened, heartbroken AND elated as they dealt with familial reactions to their relationship (3 families = 3 different reactions), and I enjoyed the roller coaster ride of emotions they dealt with as they learned how to be a unit of three and found their places within the framework of their relationship. While the sex scenes were hot, they're not what made the book for me; it was the development of the relationship between the three that I enjoyed the most.

Although The Prince of Punk Rock is the first book of the series, it does not end with a cliffhanger that makes you want to throw your Kindle across the room. The issues I had with the first third of the book have more to do with my personal reading style than the author's writing, because once I connected to the characters, I couldn't stop reading. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment