Friday, October 31, 2014

Review of Smiley by Laurann Dohner


Smiley
Smiley by Laurann Dohner

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



DAY-UM!!!!! That was hot!! Seriously, even knowing that Smiley and Vanni were dosed with the breeding drug didn’t prepare me for the level of sexual intensity that Ms. Dohner unleashed at the beginning of Smiley. Throughout the series, I have adored Smiley. He’s so laidback and personable that he just draws you in (at least me he did). So I must admit that I really wasn’t expecting him to be so … so … sexy. Despite twelve previous books in the series and my familiarity with the possessive and dominating nature of New Species males, I really didn’t expect Smiley to be quite so alpha. Needless to say, Vanni wasn’t the only one that Smiley had squirming. Whew!

As for Vanni, I liked her immediately. Despite knowing people that prove to her that the world has its fair share of a$$holes, she still prefers to look for the good in people. Her fiancé Carl was fortunate in this regard because most women would have hauled off a slapped him during their conversations. Honestly, my palm itched to slap him for her. I felt so bad for Vanni when she learned just how big of a dirt bag he was. But time and time again, Vanni proved that despite appearing as though she were some fragile creature, she was more than capable of stiffening her backbone and taking care of herself when she needed to. I loved that Smiley believed her from the very beginning, unknowingly proving that her habit of seeing the best in people was warranted. That he continued to prove it with each of his actions once she made her way to Homeland just solidified my love for all things Smiley. Of course, I snort-laughed when Jericho told him “You’re Smiley, not Grumpy Ass” when he snarled at the other Species talking to Vanni. It was quite endearing watching Smiley temper his desire for Vanni as he worked to woo her. Of course, the sex just got hotter. I do so love reading Ms. Dohner’s sex scenes.

I really enjoyed the way in which Ms. Dohner had the conflict play out in Smiley. Fans of the series know that there is the always present threat from Mercile as well as that from the hate mongers and religious fanatics as the underlying themes within the series. While the primary focus is the building of the relationship between Vanni and Smiley, the threat, or threats, in this book were doubled as both of these enemies were responsible for the attack this time around. I thoroughly enjoyed the journey to Vanni and Smiley’s happy ending (as if you had any doubt) and am already anxious for the next book in the series. I am especially anxious for Jericho’s story – I really could use another date with a Primate soon. As usual, stellar job Ms. Dohner. My smile muscles thank you for the workout.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment